Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme
These rich and Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme are the perfect side dish you will want to enjoy them throughout the year.Print
These rich and Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme are the perfect side dish for just about any holiday meal. They are so quick and easy to make, you’ll want to enjoy them throughout the year. What’s more, sweet potatoes are as nutritious as they are delicious. They contain fewer calories and are higher in fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C than their white counterparts.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2-3 T. half and half
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground allspice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Whipped cream cheese** (Pictured in Recipe Card) see recipe in notes.
Walnuts halves, toasted
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and half & half to the sweet potatoes and mash with an immersion blender or a hand-held mixer. For a thinner consistency, add more half & half, if desired.
- Once the potatoes are creamy, stir in thyme leaves, cinnamon, and allspice until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately topped with a spoonful of whipped cream cheese and/or toasted walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
Time-Saving Tip: The smaller the sweet potatoes are cut before boiling, the faster they will cook.
Substitution Tip: for 1 teaspoon of allspice, you can use 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and a pinch of ground nutmeg.
**To make whipped cream cheese topping, blend 4 oz. softened cream cheese, 3 tablespoons half & half, and a dash of cinnamon with an immersion blender or hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use wherever you enjoy regular cream cheese.
Speaking of blog giveaways grab your FREE: 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
HAND PICKED RECIPES FOR YOU
- Banana Cream Frozen Yogurt
- Chorizo-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder
- Southwestern Chicken Soup
I love and use these recommended resources; I hope these resources can help you too!
Grammarly | Sign up for Free! | Now on iOS and Android
SocialWarfare | The must have WordPress plugin
Stencil | Try it for Free!
Hi there, I'm a Mom, Lifestyle Blogger, I'm sharing, Tips + Tricks, Inspiration, Motivation, Recipes, Travel, Family & Fun.