Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
This satisfying, earthy soup is so warm and comforting.
This satisfying, earthy soup is so warm and comforting. The wild rice is filling, while the finely minced and chopped vegetables give the soup a more consistent flavor throughout. What’s more, some its “creaminess” comes from pureed cannellini beans, rather than a more significant amount of high-fat dairy products.
- 1 c. multi-color wild rice blend, uncooked*
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed, divided
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, undrained**
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 6-8 c. vegetable stock, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. half and half, tempered
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 8 oz. mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Puree cannellini beans until smooth and pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will vary by the individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard. Add tempered half & half, chopped parsley, and add vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
For best results, use a multi-color wild rice blend. Black rice will turn purple when the cream is added.
For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them with a little water.
To prevent curdling, avoid stirring cold dairy products directly into the hot soup. To temper, the half and half, add a couple spoonfuls of the hot soup to it before stirring into the slow cooker crock.
Sharing recipes is one of my favorite ways to connect, but it’s just the beginning of what you will get out of a visit kimschob.com
Listed below are some of my favorite recipes. Enjoy!
Be sure you have subscribed so you do not miss out on future articles, recipes, lifestyle tips or blog giveaways.
Speaking of giveaways you did grab your FREE Copy 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
And don't forget to stop by my Facebook page Like & Share & say Hi!, and let me know in the comments how it turned out for you!
Holiday time is fast approaching! Grab it FREE today!