Creamy Wild Rice Mushroom Soup. This satisfying, earthy soup is so warm and comforting.
Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
This satisfying, earthy soup is so warm and comforting. The wild rice is filling, while the finely minced and chopped vegetables give the soup a more consistent flavor throughout. What’s more, some its “creaminess” comes from pureed cannellini beans, rather than a more significant amount of high-fat dairy products.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-8 hours
- Total Time: -26109473.333333 minute
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker
- 1 c. multi-color wild rice blend, uncooked*
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed, divided
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, undrained**
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 6–8 c. vegetable stock, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. half and half, tempered
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Rinse the wild rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Let drain and transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to a food processor and pulse until very finely minced and transfer to slow cooker crock.
- Add 8 oz. mushrooms to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and add to slow cooker pot, along with the finely chopped mushrooms.
- Puree cannellini beans until smooth and pour into slow cooker crock with other ingredients. Add bay leaf, garlic powder, and 6 cups of vegetable stock. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8. Actual cooking time will vary by the individual slow cooker, so check for doneness after 2½ hours (or 5½ hours for low) and adjust cooking time accordingly. (The rice should be tender, but not mushy when finished).
- When cooking time is complete, remove bay leaf and discard. Add tempered half & half, chopped parsley, and add vegetable stock, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency. Stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
For best results, use a multi-color wild rice blend. Black rice will turn purple when the cream is added.
For less salt, rinse and drain the beans before pureeing them with a little water.
To prevent curdling, avoid stirring cold dairy products directly into the hot soup. To temper, the half and half, add a couple spoonfuls of the hot soup to it before stirring into the slow cooker crock.
Speaking of blog giveaways grab your FREE: 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
[table id=46 /]
HAND PICKED RECIPES FOR YOU
- Hearty Classic Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Gluten-Free Garlic Parmesan Turkey Meatballs
- Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Roasted Garlic Dip
- Slow Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Zucchini Noodles with an Arrabbiata Sauce
- Chorizo-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup
- Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder
I love and use these recommended resources; I hope these resources can help you too!
[table id=63 /]
[table id=21 /]
[table id=22 /]
Hi there, I'm a Mom & Lifestyle Blogger, Follow along for Tips + Tricks, DIY Projects, Recipes, Travel & Crafts