Hearty Classic Beef Stew
Hearty Classic Beef Stew is at the top of my list for comfort foods. This Classic Beef Stew features plenty of delicious, garden-fresh herbs and vegetables, so it is a great way to enjoy those savory treasures from your garden or the local farmers’ market.Print
Classic Beef Stew
This hearty classic beef stew is at the top of my list, this traditional beef stew features plenty of delicious, garden-fresh herbs and vegetables, so it is a great way to enjoy those precious treasures from your garden or the local farmers’ market. This satisfying dish can be served on its own or paired with your favorite salad for a more well-rounded meal. Either way, this recipe will feed a crowd – or leave plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3–4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 8 oz. white mushrooms sliced
- 2 lbs. beef stew, cut into 1” cubes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3–4 c. beef stock, divided*
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes chopped
- 2 t. fresh thyme leaves, rinsed
- 2 t. fresh oregano leaves, rinsed
- 1 T. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
*Use more or less beef stock to achieve the desired consistency
- Wash and peel all vegetables and pat dry before prepping. (Potato skins can either be left on or removed based on personal preference).
- Heat olive oil, garlic, and mushrooms in a large (5 or 6-quart), high-sided Jumbo Deep Fry Pan over medium-high heat. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms start to release their liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Working in batches if necessary, add beef to skillet and cook until browned on all sides. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Transfer browned beef and mushroom mixture to a large bowl, and return empty skillet to the cooktop.
- Deglaze skillet with 1 cup beef stock and the red wine over medium-high heat, using a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits. Boil liquid until reduced by one half before returning the beef-mushroom mixture to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 2 cups of beef broth and the bay leaf to the skillet. Cover and simmer for 1-1½ hours, or until the beef is tender. Stir beef mixture occasionally while simmering.
- Remove lid and add carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, and fresh herbs. Stir to combine and add additional beef stock, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
- Continue simmering, uncovered, for another 20-25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender, but not mushy. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon hot stew into individual serving bowls and serve immediately.
Hey now, don’t run off just yet to see if you have all the ingredients for these Classic Beef Stew, be sure you have subscribed, so you do not miss out on future recipes, blogging tips, lifestyle tips or blog giveaways.
Do you want my guide on how to save time & money while shopping on Amazon?…. For Free!
Sign up and get my free guide: How to save money using Amazon.
Hi, I’m Kim! I hope you will make this a daily stop, so you don’t miss out on all the great things that are coming your way, incredible recipes, freebies, printables, and so much more! We have what you need when you need it! Let’s connect! See ya soon!