There are two general kinds of jambalaya: Creole and Cajun. What? There is a difference! Yep, there sure is. The main difference is that Creole jambalaya, also called “red jambalaya” uses tomatoes, Cajun jambalaya does not. Another difference is the order in which the ingredients are prepared. But both utilize what’s referred to as the “holy trinity” onion, celery, and bell pepper ”usually green”. This jambalaya is the Creole version.Print
There are two general kinds of jambalaya: Creole and Cajun. What? There is a difference! Yep, There sure is. The main difference is that Creole jambalaya, also called “red jambalaya” uses tomatoes, Cajun jambalaya does not.
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Instant Pot
- 1–2 sausages* cut into thick slices
- ½ lb. large raw shrimp
- 1 lb. chicken breasts cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 medium bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. Creole seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes undrained
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups of long grain rice
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Set pot to sauté mode to heat oil.
- Add chicken, Creole seasoning and salt to heated oil. Brown chicken, remove and set aside.
- Place onions and bell peppers in pot. Cook until translucent.
- Return chicken to pot. Add rice, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cover and set pot to rice (high pressure at 12 minutes)
- Quick release. Add sausage in a layer on top of rice. Then place shrimp in a layer on top of sausage.
- Set pot to cook in manual mode for 2 minutes.
- Once cooking is done, natural or quick release. Fluff rice, mixing sausage and shrimp well with rice.
Tip for Sausage* Cajun or Creole sausage, such as andouille (or other similar smoked or spiced pork sausage)
Tip for Rice: Long grain is a must others will make it mushy and NO quick-cooking rice, moreover rinse the rice first, This will make an enormous difference.
You May Also Like…
- Instant Pot-Chicken Alfredo with Pasta
- Instant Pot-Italian Tomato Chicken Penne
- Instant Pot-Stuffed Peppers
Hey now, don’t run off just yet to see if you have all the ingredients for these Instant Pot-Jambalaya, be sure you have subscribed so you do not miss out on future recipes, blogging tips, lifestyle tips or blog giveaways. Okay, my friends, it is now your turn, don’t forget to come back and let me know in the comments how it turned out for you! I want to hear all about it.
Speaking of blog giveaways grab your FREE: 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
Hi, I’m Kim! I hope you will make this a daily stop, so you don’t miss out on all the great things that are coming your way, incredible recipes, freebies, printables, and so much more! Let’s connect! See ya soon!