Slow Cooker Apple-Cinnamon Oats
Mornings can be hectic, so this make-ahead recipe means one less thing you need to do before you start your day. As an added bonus, this healthy and delicious overnight breakfast recipe will have your house smelling like freshly baked apple pie when you wake up in the morning.
- 1 c. steel cut oats
- 3 c. water
- 1 c. fresh apple cider
- 2 medium apples, cored and diced
- 1½ T. honey, preferably local
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- ½ t. ground allspice
- ½ t. salt, to taste
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- ½ c. pecans, chopped
Real maple syrup
- Add oats, water, cider, apples, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt to greased or lined slow cooker crock and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Actual cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker, so check for doneness after 5 hours and adjust cooking time accordingly.
- To serve, allow cooling slightly before spooning into bowls and topping with fresh chopped apples, pecans, and some real maple syrup if desired.
Important Tips: Do not substitute any other type of oats for this recipe. Cooking times are based on using steel cut oats only. It very important to either line or heavily grease the sides of your slow cooker crock before preparing this recipe. If you skip this step, the oats will stick to the sides and will be very difficult to remove.
Recommendation for another great breakfast recipe My Cloud Eggs with Asiago Cheese & Chives