Southwestern Chicken Soup
Southwestern Chicken Soup dish packs a ton of flavor into every bitePrint
Southwestern Chicken Soup
This delicious, Southwestern Chicken Soup dish packs a ton of flavor into every bite. Adding some fresh lime juice and cilantro right before serving it pulls all flavors together.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soups & Stews
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3–4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 c. organic chicken broth, divided
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and kernels removed (corn prep peeler)
- 2 15-oz. Cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 2 t. dried Oregano
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- 4 limes, quartered
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove browned garlic with a slotted spatula and discard.
- Unroll chicken thighs and season both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add chicken to hot skillet and brown on both sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add just enough chicken broth to skillet to cover about 1/3 of the chicken thighs. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is pull-apart tender, approximately 40-45 minutes.
- Once tender, carefully shred chicken with 2 forks while still in the skillet. Add corn kernels, black beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper to skillet and top off with remaining chicken stock. Stir to combine and season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Increase heat to medium and simmer until heated through approximately 15 minutes. If time permits, simmer longer to give flavors more time to mingle. Remove from heat and stir in juice from 2 whole limes and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!
This soup makes a great appetizer, or pair it with a crisp, green side salad for a light, yet satisfying meal
LOVE THE RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER! Follow Kim Schob on Pinterest!
Hey now, don’t run off just yet to see if you have all the ingredients for this Southwestern Chicken Soup, be sure you have subscribed so you do not miss out on future recipes, blogging tips, lifestyle tips or blog giveaways. Okay, my friends, it is now your turn, don’t forget to come back and let me know in the comments how it turned out for you! I want to hear all about it.
Speaking of blog giveaways grab your FREE: 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
Hi, I’m Kim! If you’re sick of coming up with answers for anything from hungry tummies to quick remedies, my blog is for you!