How to Create Your Ideal Customer Avatar. According to the Small Business Administration (SBA), 95% of small businesses fail within the first five years. One of the main reasons these companies fail is the lack of a defined target audience. If asked, many small business owners will say that their target audience includes people like stay-at-home moms, college students, or middle-aged men. That is too general of an audience for the result to be profitable.
Some will even say that they do not have a specific target audience their products or services are for everyone. That is a mistake that is all too familiar to thousands of aspiring entrepreneurs. There seems to be a fear that defining your target audience; you will be excluding others who may not fit within that algorithm but might be interested in your products or services. Many new entrepreneurs also seem to trap themselves into thinking that their ideal customers include anyone with the ability to purchase their products. For example, many makeup professionals will list their perfect customer as “anyone with a face.” When you try to target everyone, you are speaking to no one. You are merely wasting time and money, and you are not likely to see any return for all your hard work.
You can not successfully market and grow your business if you do not understand who your ideal customer is. If you do not know whom you are talking to, how can you expect to reach them? Using generic terms and language in marketing material is not going to make your products and services stand out from the millions of others on the market.
Creating your ideal customer avatar, or persona will guarantee your marketing efforts are targeted and much more cost-effective. Profiling the exact customer who needs your products or services the most will allow you to craft your marketing messages to stand out and appeal to him or her directly. Moreover, because your ideal customer will be the person most likely to buy from you, he or she will return, spend more money, and recommend you to friends and family. This customer will be fantastic to do business with and will generate a large percentage of your profit.
Sounds great, right? Get started now by completing the following template of detailed information which will allow you to profile your ideal customer and create his or her avatar.
[socialpug_tweet tweet=”Market and grow your business successfully by understanding your #idealcustomer #createcustomeravatar ” display_tweet=” Market and grow your business successfully by understanding your #idealcustomer #createcustomeravatar #FreeChecklist “]
How to Create Your Ideal Customer Avatar
Having a clear picture of whom your ideal customer will allow you to stop spending time and money advertising to the wrong audience. Instead, you can focus on creating content and copy that connects with your ideal customer. The most successful entrepreneurs establish a connection with customers by showing that they are relatable. Research shows that an emotional connection plays a crucial role in buyer’s purchasing decisions.
1. Build a broad description of your ideal customer.
To create your ideal customer avatar, start by thinking about your perfect customer’s demographics. Remember, you are creating your ideal customer for your business; the customer that you want to do business with most.
- How old is your ideal customer?
- Are they male or female?
- What is his or her marital status?
- Does he or she have children?
- How does he or she describe himself (or herself)?
- Where does he or she live? Do they own or rent?
- What about a current occupation?
- How much money does he or she earn in a year?
- What about education?
2. Consider more personal details to help form a better understanding of your customer prospects.
Now it is time to define where to find your ideal customer and how to engage him or her. It will be beneficial when planning marketing strategies and create content. Try to imagine what a typical day in his life is like.
- How do they spend their free time?
- What about hobbies and interests?
- Likes and dislikes?
- What books and magazines do they read?
- What kind of music do they listen to?
- What do they watch on TV?
- Favorite movies?
- What are some of their favorite websites?
- What type of content do they consume most?
- What about social media activity?
- Which networks appeal to him or her?
- What is his or her source for getting the news?
- What blogs do they read?
- Where do they go for information?
- What search terms do they use?
- Whom does he or she admire most?
- What about fears?
- Do they have a guilty pleasure?
- What kind of car does he or she drive?
- Is he or she health conscious?
- Does he or she spend more time at home or work?
- What kind of sports does he or she enjoy?
- Are they tech savvy? Do they have a smartphone?
As you can see, this second set of questions is designed to help you dig in and get to know your ideal customer as a person — not just as a prospect. The more questions you can answer, the more needs you will be able to serve later.
3. Dig even deeper to define your ideal customer’s hopes, dreams, and aspirations.
This information will enhance your customer profile and allow you to connect on a more emotional level. The more details you can add the better. Envision having coffee with him or her. Pay particular attention to how he or she behaves and talks. Get to know him on an intimate level.
What are his personal goals? Where would he like to be in 5 years?
- What are his or her business goals?
- What are his or her personal beliefs and values?
- What do they want more than anything?
- What are their most significant obstacles and challenges?
- What does he or she worry about? What keeps him or her up at night?
- What are the three most significant problems in their life?
- How is their daily life affected by their problems?
- What would be the perfect solution to his or her problem(s)?
- Can your product or service help solve their problem(s)?
- What is his or her most significant hesitation in buying your products or services?
- How will you make his or her life better?
Now it is time to give your ideal customer avatar a name and a face. What does he look? It might sound kind of funny to you, but this is the person you will be talking to every time you create content or other marketing materials. Giving him a name and a face will make it easier to speak to your ideal customer. Browse through stock images and see if you can find a picture to associate with him.
Create a short “life story” for your customer avatar. Explain how he has come to need your help.
[socialpug_tweet tweet=”Put yourself in your customer’s shoes every time you develop #marketingstrategies. #createcustomeravatar ” display_tweet=”Put yourself in your customer’s shoes every time you develop #marketingstrategies #createcustomeravatar #FreeChecklist “]
4. If your brand targets several submarkets, create an avatar for each of these.
Many businesses have more than one customer segment they want to reach. Create a customer avatar for each of these.
5. Use your ideal customer avatar to connect with your target market and watch your conversions and sales skyrocket.
Now that you have tapped into your ideal customer’s psychology, you can start to look at life through his or her eyes. Do you feel their excitement? Can you understand their pain?
Put yourself in his or her shoes every time you create content, ad copy, or marketing material. Use his language to mirror his words in a natural, authentic way. If you can master the art of feeling and thinking correctly as your ideal customer does, you will be able to create marketing campaigns that resonate with him.
He will feel as if you know what he is thinking. He will feel wholly understood; as if he is at home.
PIN IT FOR LATER! Follow Kim Schob on Pinterest!
Thank you for checking out my blog and be sure to subscribe to all kinds of valuable lifestyle tips, recipes, blog giveaways! As always, if you have any questions or comments, I’d love to hear from you below Speaking of blog giveaways grab your FREE: 10 ways to save $ on Amazon
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
Hi, I’m Kim! I hope you will make this a daily stop, so you don’t miss out on all the great things that are coming your way, incredible recipes, freebies, printables, and so much more! Let’s connect! See ya soon!